Monday, April 16, 2007

Tim Burton's best-written movie

You old-timers will be aware that I do not think much of the movies of Tim Burton. Not to put too fine a point on it, I think most of them are pretty terrible. But there's one big exception, and it's Ed Wood.

Why? Well I'm always going to think it's because he was working from an actual...what's it called...script.

(The screenplay was written by Larry Karaszewski & Scott Alexander, who would go on to write Man on the Moon and The People vs. Larry Flynt, so it's obvious they knew a little something about bio-pics)

Anyway, all this is in aid of the fact that Mark Evanier ran a scene from the movie on his blog today and I'm stealing it. Mark wanted to talk about how Maurice LaMarche dubbed the voice of Orson Welles in the scene, which is an interesting fact and LaMarche gives a great, dramatic vocal performance.

But I just wanted to talk about what a great scene it is, and how rare it is for me to say that about a Tim Burton movie.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I like about half of Tim Burton's movies, but have to agree with you that Ed Wood is one of the best, especially because of the script ... One other one I really like is Big Fish