Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My new definition of political irony

I used to say that my perfect definition of political irony was the fact that Richard Nixon died while Bill Clinton was president, and so protocol directed that the current president should euologize the former.

One of the reasons, as I understand it, that Bill Clinton got into politics in the first place was in reaction to the...let's be generous and say "mistakes" that brought Nixon down and in reaction to his conservative policies.

So that he had to stand up at the man's funeral and speak words of glowing oratory...yeah, that's a pretty fine chunk of irony right there.

Now I have a better one. As most of us know, John McCain could be called a genuine hero of the Vietnam war. So one might expect, or at least hope, that he would be as skeptical as anybody if not more so, about future "wars of choice."

Wrongo.

No comments: