Thursday, May 31, 2007

Holy crap

This is turning out to be a good couple of days for discovering heretofore unknown things via movies and television.

Along with Science of Sleep, I rented a Fractured Fairy Tales Best Of DVD yesterday.



God bless my video store and their "Wednesday two for ones." So I'm watching their version of "Rumpelstiltskin," and we get to the part where the young queen starts trying to guess the name of the little man.

She tries dozens of names---"Alfred? Barnaby? Clyde? Zeke?"--- And smack dab in the middle there:

"Lowry? Sam?"

Now, as any film or especially Terry Gilliam fan worth the name knows, the hero of his film Brazil is named...Sam Lowry. And here are those names put together some 25 years before that film was released.

Coincidence? Yeah, probably. At least, I've seen or read everything on Gilliam that I can and I don't remember ever seeing that the name was meant as a nod.

Nevertheless...holy crap.

No comments: