Monday, May 28, 2007

What can I say about Charles Nelson Reilly...

...that this doesn't say for me?



I used to think he was funny on those old Match Game reruns. But I later learned that the actor, who has died at 76, really had quite a noteworthy career quite apart from that. He was in the original Broadway productions of a couple of classic musicals, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" and "Hello Dolly," winning a Tony for the latter.

The above-linked story covers his most known work, but I wanted to mention a couple of things that aren't as well known. Reilly gave a wonderful performance as the voice of Mr. Toad in an lighthearted animated TV movie of The Wind in the Willows, made by Rankin and Bass in the 1980s. That version has always seemed underrated to me.

I also remember his appearance a few years ago on an episode of Dinner For Five with (now here's an evening) Dom DeLuise, Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning. One thing he talked about is how modern TV and movie stars don't have as many impressions done of them as did icons from previous eras.

He put this down to their lack of distinctive mannerisms, which in turn he blamed on their lack of stage training. I don't know if he was 100% right, but I don't think he was 100% wrong.

2 comments:

Bill said...

A small correction: Reilly won his Tony for playing Bud in How to Succeed. The year he was nominated for Hello Dolly, Jack Cassidy took the prize . . .

Ben Varkentine said...

Quite right, my mistake. Sorry, Charlie.