Saturday, June 02, 2007

Either Battlestar Galactica is a self-correcting system, or I am

Good afternoon. I found a picture of a model/actress named Tricia Helfer earlier today.



Not that picture, but it gives you an idea. I was going to do a jokey post here about how maybe there was, after all, some lingering threat of my ever watching the new Battlestar Galactica, in which Ms. Helfer is a member of the cast.

A hot and seductive looking babe is a hot and seductive looking babe. I'm not too proud.

However, in doing a little Yahoo! searching just now to make sure I had my information correct, I was confronted with the most closed-system websites I have ever seen for any sci-fi show, and reminded of why I haven't been able to get into this fan-acclaimed series.

As some of you know, I have been unable to for many reasons. Perhaps foremost among them that the whole thing seems to me to have such an air of self-importance. Like: This is serious science fiction. Ooh!

The fan websites are worse.

And looking at a clip on YouTube reminded me of the second reason: The dialogue is ennobled by the word "functional."

I'm outta here. No hot and seductive looking babe is worth that.

(You have to draw the line somewhere, you know)

No comments: