Thursday, June 14, 2007

Finally.

Back in February, I posted a euology to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It had become clear that NBC was going to cancel it. And at the time, I couldn't condemn the network too harshly for it.

My feelings aside, the show was doing poorly in the ratings, and I know how these things work. That was before I found out that 30 Rock's numbers are only as good or worse, and that got renewed. But that's another post.

Writing about what was bothering me most about Studio 60 in recent weeks (at that time), I wrote that Aaron Sorkin's other written/created shows like

Sports Night and especially West Wing made me want to write well. They almost always made me think, "I have to do better." Studio 60 may have made me think, "I actually can do better." I have no idea right now whether that's a good sign, or not.


I just wanted to say that tonight's middle part of a three-parter...finally got me wanting to write well (I always want to write well, but you know what I mean).

For those two of you who are also watching it: I can't help it. I sense metaphors. To me, Jordan's health crisis is really the health crisis of TV itself. Remember, her ficticious (oh yeah; ficticious) exec was the one who explained why she wanted to pass on a reality show being offered to the network by saying:

"It's patently disgusting. It appeals to the very worst in our nature, and whoever airs it will play a measurable role in subverting our national culture. It doesn't belong on anyone's air--certainly not ours, at a time when we're trying to re-brand the network as a place for high-end viewers. I swear to God, sir, the better our shows are, the more money we'll make."


That's the alternate universe reality. In our reality, a show that was erratic, but good and getting better, has been cancelled. And the network is jamming in as many ads for "unscripted" series, game shows, and "reality" programs as they can.

I'm sure at least part of the reason is because they can't sell much ad time on a show that's already cancelled, so they fill the space with in-house ads. I understand that. I'm also aware that NBC doesn't have to let S60 finish out the season at all, and I'm genuinely grateful that they have.

Nevertheless, the end result is an hour of television that mocks the medium's own best aspirations.

So, of course Jordan's health has taken a turn for the worse.

And her baby?

That's the show.

Trouble in the gestation, delivered prematurely, but looking good, and surrounded by people who want to take care of it. But may be prevented from doing so by cirumstances beyond their control, or at least not completely within their grasp.

Danny, looking down at the little girl whom he considers his daughter in all but biology, but is prevented from touching by a glass window: That's Sorkin and/or his friend and producing partner/director, Tommy Schlamme.

Because they have created this thing. Even though Schlamme's name isn't on the show as creator--just as Danny's name isn't on any forms as the father of Jordan's child. But like Danny, there may be a limit on what they can do for this "child."

If Jordan dies, Danny will have no legal rights where her child is concerned, it was pointed out to Matt tonight. And no matter how much Sorkin & Schlamme love this show and want to do right by it...

-unless some other network decides to be Santa (unlikely, though I still long to see what the series could do on Showtime).

1 comment:

Johnny Bacardi said...

I was out last night and missed it, damn. Great analysis, though!

Wouldn't watch it on Showtime, because I'm still angry with them for shitcanning Dead Like Me...