Saturday, August 11, 2007

Morphing is inherently creepy

-something I observed back around 1992, when the video for Michael Jackson's "Black Or White" song came out. If you don't remember, it featured a seeming cast of thousands of beautiful people in different colors, one morphing into the other.

In support, you see, of the song's statement that it indeed does not matter if you are black or white. Well, great. Except that my first reaction upon seeing it was, and I have a clear recollection of saying this aloud in my friend Marco Pecenco's apartment..."That is postively creepy."

And it had nothing to do with the then-not-yet-criminally-accused Whacko Jacko The Batshit Insane And His Chimp Bubbles.

It's just that, for me at least, morphing only works when it's supposed to creep me out. There's something almost reptilian and humanity-debasing about it, something that sucks the warmth out of any image to which it's applied.

Even when you have one lovely woman morphing into another.

Someone has put together a morphing video of great-looking actresses from Carole Lombard to Sophia Loren to Holly Hunter. Beautiful women whom any straight boy would be all-too-happy to get romantic with.

But as presented here....(shudder)...well, it doesn't activate my sentimental side...it makes me feel more like I was supposed to feel about Venom in Spider-Man 3, but didn't.

PS: BTW, I stole that video link from Mark Evanier.

I don't know who he stole it from...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you feature a similar video with morphed pics of women in art? I found that creepy too. I think it's because your focus is drawn to the eyes.

Ben Varkentine said...

I don't think I ever did feature that video, but I think I know the one you mean.