Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I sit and wait alone in my room...The walls are white and in the night The room is lit by electric light



I like to remember September 11, 2001 by remembering the song I put in my tape deck the first time I left the house afterwards. For a couple of years I did this by posting the lyric, even though, of course, the lyric couldn't give you the full effect.

This year, I found on YouTube a bit of Yaz[oo] performing the song, "In My Room," live in concert in 1982. (Note: the first four minutes or so are an unreleased instrumental, "Chinesse Detectives.")

"In My Room" here still isn't quite as good as the album version, because Alison Moyet gets a bit overheated in her singing. And especially as it's missing the recitation of "The Lord's Prayer" that runs throughought the song, ending with the haunting repetition of "God deliver us from evil."

But Vince Clarke's synths are as dreamy as ever, and this gives you a better idea.

No comments: