Thursday, January 03, 2008

I liked Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11", as I've liked other of his films.

I still think the best question it asked, the one that still resonates almost four years after the fact, was about the men and women of our armed forces. The ones who have been sent far from home, at risk to life, limb and sanity...on a lie.

This has become a cliché to say, but I mean it honestly: That's just wrong.

Anyway, the question Moore asked was: Will they (the men and women of the Services) ever trust us again?

As I was saying, I like some of Moore's movies, in fact most of them that I have seen, which isn't all. But there's something of the song-and-dance man if not quite the huckster in him that makes it difficult for me to get all aboard the Moore train.

Yet I also believe that people like Moore get placed in their positions at least as much because of circumstances and times as because of their own character. Put another way, as I believe Moore himself remarked, if the media had been doing their job for the past eight years, Fahrenheit 9/11 would have been joyfully unnecessary.

Whenever someone attacks another person by going after who they are personally instead of what they've said or done, it's because they can't really disagree with whatever they've said or done. Even if they don't agree with it, somewhere they know it's right.

The more fat jokes about Michael Moore I heard, the more I thought: They know he's right.

What all this is in aid of is telling you that while I'm a Moore supporter, I hope I'm not a blind one. And I suggest you go to Moore's site and read his latest "letter" on the choice before Democratic voters. I agree with about 99% of it.

(The one percent stems from the fact that, as I've remarked before, I'm not one of those Democrats who is "Waiting For AlGore." I still think if he had to step into that center-ring spotlight, he'd flinch again. And I haven't forgotten Joe Lieberman.)

No comments: