Saturday, April 26, 2008

Now and then when your heart’s in pain, I like to say...Always remember...I’ll be forever...

Squeeze's Chris Difford and Glenn Tillbrook are rightly considered to be one of the best songwriting teams of the '80s. But I think their sixth album, Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti is widely thought to have been something of a failure, both chart-wise and as a creative work.

I understand that even if I don't fully agree (at least about the creative part...the chart bit is hard to argue). The very 1985 production has keyboards liberally poured all over it in a way that will not be to everybody's taste (when I notice, it's a sign of something).

But if you're not biased against that, there's more than a couple good songs to be found. Come to think of it, it’s where I found the (possibly temporary) title for my work in current progress, Hits of the Year

But, this live TV performance is not of that single. It’s one which, although it never found a place on any chart, always worked for me. All the more so since I decided it's what Colley would pick if asked to choose a song to describe how he feels about Keitha.

Here's "By Your Side."

2 comments:

Johnny Bacardi said...

I've always been on a take-it-or-leave it basis with this album, but I really like the cut "Last Time Forever".

Ben Varkentine said...

I like the music and production of that song slightly more than the lyric, which feels a little too artifical.

Love the "Shining" samples, tho...