Friday, April 25, 2008

Worth-reading interview here with film director & screenwriter Kimberly Peirce, to promote the UK opening of her second feature, Stop-Loss.

Too many good 'graphs to quote, here's just one:

"I was living in New York during 9/11," she explains. "Absorbing the shock, and then learning that we were going to war, it became clear to me that we were in the midst of this really radical change. I became interested in why the soldiers were signing up, what the training was like, what they were going to experience, how they would change when they came back. I was looking into all that already and, in the middle of it, I found my brother had signed up, which made it really personal. He's quite a bit younger than me. I carried him home from the hospital when he was born. It couldn't get much more personal."


As we know the film bombed financially over here, despite getting mostly good reviews, on balance (and I liked it, too). I'll be curious to see how it does in the rest of the world, where perceived--not actual--anti-American bias is unlikely to hurt it...

No comments: