Wednesday, August 27, 2008

2004: In flux



2004:

Virginia Madsen.

Most of you by now have probably heard my shtick about Virginia Madsen:

When we die, if we've been good, we get to take a never-ending hot shower with her at the age of 21.

But I don't think I've ever mentioned that whole bit comes from her work in the movie Creator.

Yes, the scene appears, and yes, it's sexy, but even more, it's touching and romantic.




spot the allegory
Originally uploaded by incidental music


Madsen got a chance to show her chops as an actress in Sideways.

In the main, most of her movies before that only gave her a chance to show something else.






Since then she's kept busy making as many movies as she can but unfortunately, almost none of them have been as well-received. Maybe she'll have better luck now that she's becoming a producer.



Kate Winslet.



Winslet is one of the most satisfying actresses in the world today. Although it goes without saying I am enamored of her smokin'-hot body, I use the word satisfying not because of that but because she always delivers in performance.

I take it as a given that she will eventually win an Oscar, if not more than one.



As Sara Gilbert (who come to think of it, I should've put in this series of posts around 92-94) said on The Big Bang Theory,

"Come for the breasts, stay for the brains." That's Kate Winslet. I'd also put money (if I had any) on her aging better than most of her contemporaries.



Winslet is reuniting with her Titanic co-star, Leonardo DiCaprio, in a film directed by her husband, Sam Mendes.

Runner-Up : Natalie Portman. Look, I just don't think she's a very good actress, and in interviews and such she seems like kind of a silly person.

Shore' do like to look at her, tho.

Last month Portman was a celebrity guest judge on Project Runway. She also inspired the name of an electropop band based here in Seattle, Natalie Portman's Shaved Head.

I find them kind of unlovely, but what do you want of me? I'm old enough to remember the Silicon Teens...

No comments: