Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Have I mentioned...

Today has been dubbed "Write to Marry" day. The idea is that if you oppose California's Prop 8, and by extension any attempts to deny gay people the rights that, well, human beings should enjoy...

...today would be a great day to say so.

I do oppose such attempts; my problem is I think most of you know that, I think most of you agree with that (if you don't, frankly, I can do without you). So what can I say about it that's new?

I don't know, but one thing I do want to do is repost this Salon.com opinion piece from four years ago, when some were asking whether SF Mayor Newsom's* decision to begin allowing gays to marry had cost the Democrats the election.


“Putting the blame on gays and lesbians goes against our own core values. We can’t sell our souls to take back the White House…until Newsom went on his marrying spree, I thought Democrats needed to move very slowly on gay marriage. Then I had friends and neighbors who got married — and a few whose weddings got cancelled when the California Supreme Court stopped the ceremonies in March — and my worldview permanently shifted. Now I don’t know how the party can turn its back on gay people who want to marry…I believe we’ll survive four more Bush years and recover the White House. But we won’t do it by selling out gay people.”


I agree with this. It's indecent to blame our electoral losses on any part of the gay and lesbian community...unless of course it's the loveless husks of The L Word...but I digress.



*Newsom's wife, Jennifer Siebel Newsom, is an actress w/a recurring role on Life.

Everything is connected, have I mentioned that?

1 comment:

John Bisceglia said...

I sincerely hope PROP 8 fails miserably.

BUT - if it DOES passes, is everyone prepared to spend another ba-zillion dollars on PR and possibly wait 20-30 years to "win"

equality in the US? And will we want to travel cross-country when our civil rights will change like the weather over each state line?

AND - if it does NOT pass, which state will we focus on next so we can spend another ba-zillion dollars to purchase civil rights?

I know I am virtually alone here (except for Charles Merrill and his partner), but I think all of you are insane. Truly crazy....one step away from writing-on-the-wall-with-your-feces crazy.

Because if ALL of us truly believed we WERE equal, we would not be so patient as tax-payers and U.S. citizens. We'd simply KNOW we ARE equal, and refuse to pay into a system that not only denies our familes civil marriage but doesn't even acknowledge our
existence (wait for the 2010 census).

I'm 43, and I will NOT wait until I'm 73 for fair and equal treatment. It's OK for the country at large to be ignorant, bigoted, mid-guided, and mid-informed. But that's not my fault. So until people GROW UP and show my family the same "civil" respect heterosexually-identified families are given, I owe this country and the IRS nothing.

How many times do I need to say this?

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION AIN'T GWANNA HAPPEN!