Monday, August 24, 2009

As I sadly shake my head, and try not to type the words "self-destruct."

From an NYT Op-Ed Column:


In reality, the health care wrestling match is less a test of Mr. Obama’s political genius than it is a test of the Democratic Party’s ability to govern. This is not the Reagan era, when power in Washington was divided, and every important vote required the president to leverage his popularity to build trans-party coalitions. Fox News and Sarah Palin have soapboxes, but they don’t have veto power. Mr. Obama could be a cipher, a nonentity, a Millard Fillmore or a Franklin Pierce, and his party would still have the power to pass sweeping legislation without a single Republican vote.


Here's what's weird to me...ok, let me rephrase that, here is one of the things which is weird to me. I remember hearing; I think it was sometime around the inauguration, that one of the things about the President which gave hope was essentially this:

Having received so much money from so many sources, he would be beholden to none.

I wonder whatever happened to that.

No comments: