Monday, August 29, 2005

Just let me hear some of that...

Amanda at Pandagon did a couple of numbers today about sex, drugs and rock & roll, only not so much the sex and drugs. First she "translates" a Bush-supporters column about the forthcoming Rolling Stones song thats getting so much publicity.

The Bush-supporter says:


Everybody thinks the Stones are trashing Bush, but the president isn’t really a neocon, and the word sweet is a real stumper. One theory is that Jagger has a crush on Paul Wolfowitz, Dick Cheney, or Condi Rice. Probably Cheney, since the name Halliburton pops up in the lyrics.


Which Amanda translates as:


Translation: The word "neocon" was made up to make the new, more fascist breed of conservatives seem "with it". But since I can cleverly convince my audience I too listen to classic rock radio, there is no need to strain ourselves. It turns out that many Baby Boomers were not especially interested in starting a revolution so much as getting reassured that they could be one step short of uniform-donning goose-steppers and still be able to purchase Rolling Stones albums and think that they invented the idea of "cool".





Amanda also did the same music list thing I did five days ago, and passed on a little suggestion:





writing in the year you were 13 and embarrassing yourself with what songs you actually liked then.


Embarassing myself? Little does she know I turned 13 in 1984. I offer you the top 100 hits of that year. There's hardly any I'm embarassed by even today. Just look at that top 10. It's even got the one and only Yes song I've ever liked on it.

If we go to 1985, the year I was 13 the most for...why I do believe it's "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears For Fears, in the top 10.

Embarassed? Not a bit of it. Proud as a peacock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I ended up looking up 1984, the year my older sister graduated, since I didn't even recognize half of the songs from "my" year of 1991.
I don't think there's a single song on that list that I don't like. There are a few I don't remember, and a few I think are painfully corny, but none that I just can't stand.

Ben Varkentine said...

I looked up 1991. I'm so sorry.