Friday, September 02, 2005

Say it, brothers

Hoffmania answers accusations that the left is "politicizing" the hurricane.

The whole post is so good I hardly know what to quote. Here's just the beginning:


We're sure you've seen the accusations of the left using the hurricane as another "excuse" to bash Bush. We'd like to clear this up:

We're not looking for excuses. What we keep getting are REASONS. Every time this country and this world have been thrown into chaos, this White House has been an utter failure to respond.

After 9/11, it took Bush three days to stand on the rubble and bodies in New York with a bullhorn proclaiming that the "people who knocked these buildings down" will hear from us.



Speaking of Hoffmania, the site rightly calls this an Anderson Cooper "smackdown" (but I'm linking to the Blah3 version, which I like even better). It seems Cooper, who is in Louisiana, was interviewing Senator Mary Landrieu. Holy Shit. Check it out. He says more than I ever could.


SEN. MARY LANDRIEU (D), LOUISIANA: Let me just say a few things. Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are coming to Louisiana, and Mississippi, and Alabama to our help and rescue.

We are grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to thank Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts.

Anderson, tonight, I don't know if you've heard -- maybe you all have announced it -- but Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion supplemental bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating.

COOPER: Excuse me, Senator, I'm sorry for interrupting. I haven't heard that, because, for the last four days, I've been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated.

And when they hear politicians slap -- you know, thanking one another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And there's not enough facilities to take her up...I know you say there's a time and a place for, kind of, you know, looking back, but this seems to be the time and the place.


Man. Wow. Man...

No comments: