Sunday, October 09, 2005

Ah, it was a happy day back in the early '90s, too

Oliver Willis has an open letter to the Democratic party. I don't agree with all of it, but I think it's worth reading. He also runs a photograph of one of Clinton's swearing-in ceremonies, which reminds me of something.

The first time around, I actually got up early to watch. It was worth it, too, for one moment. As the President and Vice-President elect's families sat in the bleachers, a marching band performed a nice assortment of tunes. Nice if you like marching band music, that is.

And then suddenly I began to hear, coming from the band below...John Phillip Sousa's Liberty Bell. Which, for those of you who don't know, is better known as the Monty Python theme.

It was fucking surreal. Though in retrospect, perhaps I should have taken it as an omen.

("Some watery tart...")

No comments: