Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Okay, baby

My writing sample and assorted attached papers are in the mail. Thanks to those of you who offered your suggestions or just goodwill and good luck on the cover letter.

The cherry blossoms have begun to fall at the post office; to one with so keen an eye as I have for potential metaphor and signs, it gave me a good feeling.

Also, I've been very lucky with the radio lately. Usually, I drive wth tapes, but sometimes, when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to grab a couple, I just let the "scan" fuction be my guide.

(This is how I came to invent a little game: Any time you drive in Seattle with the radio scan function on, it is only a matter of time before you hear something by Sting and/or The Police. This almost never fails. I know they're popular everywhere, but jeez, they're really popular in Seattle. Today, it was "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free." But that's not the song I want to tell you about)

Driving back here from the post office, I had another one of those experiences of a radio station playing just what I needed to hear even before I realized I needed to hear it. You see, ever since I got that e-mail from the Agency saying they would be happy (their word) to read a sample of my work, I've been divided.

Part of me, as you can probably well imagine, is breathless with anticipation. The other part is telling that part to keep calm. At times like these, you need something incredibly meaningless, and I use the words literally. You need something both meaningless . . . and incredible.

You need:

No comments: