Friday, July 27, 2007

Oh. My. God.



A woman wrote in to Roger Ebert's site about the poster for the upcoming Dane Cook/Jessica Alba movie "Good Luck Chuck." She was offended, because it is a "parody" of the Rolling Stone cover photo taken hours before John Lennon was shot; she considers it tasteless.

Ebert reminds her of the many parodies of works that some consider "sacred," as she says she feels about the Lennon photo. I know what he means, but...still. To take a photo like that, and not just parody it, but use it as advertising for a movie that...

...well, the cast and crew doesn't exactly fill one with confidence that this will be an example of Film As Great Art...

5 comments:

J.D. said...

That's just not right, and for me it just continues to prove that Cook isn't funny and even sucks at being an a--hole.

Ben Varkentine said...

I haven't seen much of Cook, but from what I have, I don't disagree with you.

jeopardygirl said...

What was so magical about that iconic photograph was the sheer joy and love radiating from Lennon. There is NONE of that in this crass "parody" poster for a film I predict will be in theatres for less than three weeks.

Becca said...

The thing that bothers me most...other than Dane Cook himself...is the fact that this "daring" comedian isn't even daring enough to take his shorts off for the poster. If you are going to parody the piece then maybe you should do it properly.

God I hate Dane Cook and this movie looks awful!

Ben Varkentine said...

I noticed that too, actually, but I wasn't sure whether to blame Cook, the movie company, or possibly Alba who might not want his sex part to touch her.