Monday, December 03, 2007

Oh, god

Just when you think there couldn't be anything more depressing about the case of Megan Meier, the young girl who was driven to suicide by grown-ups. Called by some "the MySpace suicide." But I don't like to call it that because it puts the implication of blame on a website instead of on the poor excuses for adults who did this to her.

But anyway...St. Charles County, Missouri, Prosecuting Attorney Jack Banas said today no charges will be filed against those adults. This is saddening but not unexpected. What is unexpected is...well...

I don't know why I should feel surprised that the more details I have about the suicide of a 13-year-old girl, the more depressed about it I feel. But see if this doesn't make you want to scream with angry tearful rage:

When Megan's mother returned home, she found her daughter crying at the computer. After reading the messages, she criticized her daughter for using inappropriate language, Banas said.

Telling her mom that "I can't believe you're not on my side," Megan ran upstairs and hanged herself, Banas said.


And I want to finish, for reasons that I don’t fully understand, with this:

He was old but never felt so young
Like a lion to the slaughtered lamb
He watched you crumble
Walked away before the dance begun
Still he says that he has loved you
Like he loved no other
The best kept secret, hidden in years
Is still wrapped up with pride and fear
-Paul Young, "Standing On The Edge"

No comments: