Friday, February 08, 2008

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirate's Life for Me...



Watched Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End on DVD and was pleasantly surprised, in some ways I thought it the best of the three. But I have to qualify that by saying I still feel better scripts and editing (I'd have cut, for example, the multiple Jacks) would've helped this series immeasurably. Not that it seems to have done badly without them...

The plot is still gobbledygook, but by this point, it seems clear that the actors were having the time of their lives. And being able to tie up most if not all of the loose ends gives the movie a sense of payoff.



...though Jack remains, as he probably should always, delightfully loose in the end.

I was especially pleased to see that the filmmakers allowed the characters' actions to have real consequences and opted for a non-traditional and unexpected end to the love story.

This had a tinge of tragedy, but was right, given all that had gone before.

Too many betrayals had occurred on both sides for me to have been satisfied with an "And they both lived happily ever after."

I'm not saying I plan to sit down with the whole trilogy any time soon (I haven't even done that with Lord of the Rings), but I do feel better about it.

In fact, I feel like making a bold, dashing statement-as the third film in a series it's better, in it's way, than Return of the Jedi...though Empire still buries Dead Man's Chest (get it?).

2 comments:

PJ said...

Peanut?

Ben Varkentine said...

MY peanut!