Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A baker's dozen of CDs I've enjoyed in 2005

These are in completely arbitrary order and not limited to CDs actually released this year. Links are to reviews or old blog postings I've written about them.

Love Rocks

This two-CD set is in benefit of the Human Rights Campaign, “the largest national gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender political organization with members throughout the country.” Inasmuch as the music “rocks,” as per the title, it’s a gentle kind of rocking, with a handful of exceptions.

But there's enough new discoveries and old favorites, coupled with the good cause, to make it worth your while. Or mine anyway. But I still resent this CD for making me like a Mandy Moore record...

Piney Gir-"Peakahokaboo"

Swinging and simple.

Soft Cell-"The Very Best Of"

My Mann James sent me this off my Amazon.com wish list, although, he assured me, normally it would be against his principles to further the spread of Soft Cell in any way. I felt like such a failure as an "eighties man" without at least one of their CDs in my collection.

But I had also always felt as though I should like Soft Cell more than I did...and now I've done a complete 180. I fucking love this album.

Book Of Love-"Candy Carol"

I've been wanting to hear this 1991 CD ever since I read a review of it in The Trouser Press Record Guide:




The synth arrangements run from trite ("Butterfly") to subtle ("Candy Carol," which makes cute use of a melody that comes pre-programmed on every $30 Casio), as do the lyrics: "Quiver" is simple and dumb, while "Flower Parade" consists of an a cappella list of floral species, and "Orange Flip" is a kicky little ode to lipstick colors.

Yeah! Finally found it in a Half Price store for three bucks this year.

Mary Had A Little Amp

This is one of those "grownups doing songs from their childhood for other grownups" CDs. It's in benefit of a preschool education division of People For The American Way, a fine organization. Four words: "Rainbow Connection." Dixie Chicks. Music to my ears...

Lesbians On Ecstasy

On band name alone, I pretty much had to, didn't I?

Leonard Cohen-"Dear Heather"

I don't revere Mr. Cohen as some do, but I do like him, especially when he doesn't sink so deep into his depressions.

Dixie Chicks-"Top Of The World Tour Live"

I became an unabashed fan of the Dixie Chicks music in 2004, after seeing the "Concert For Change" on TV. Which I still hold is one of the best concerts you'll ever see, regardless of your musical taste or political beliefs. Pray god it'll be released on DVD or CD soon.

Prior to that, I was admittedly more of a fan of their cute, and their political feelings.








Erasure-"Nightbird"

Vince Clarke and Andy Bell are the Keith Richards and Mick Jagger of techno-pop, in both the good and bad ways. Genre pioneers who made some of the most definitive singles of a decade, and whose last albums haven't been much to go wild over.
But one or two of the melodic, gently rocking singles on this CD have really grown on me. Plus, check out that cover-is that lovely or what?

Pitty Sing-"demons, you are the stars in cars 'till I die"

Possibly the greatest hook of the year: "We'll fuck on the radio."

Maria Marquez-"Natures Princess (Princesa de la Naturaleza)"

A voice like the ghost of Billie Holiday living in the sax of a skillful player, lending the songs an ageless quality.

Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason-"Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"

I won't kid you-I never watched the movie, and I don't even like most of the songs on this CD. But it's how I got Kylie Minogue's "Can't You Out Of My Head." All together now: La la la, la la la la la la, la la la...

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult-"Confessions of a Knife"

This was just replacing on CD a tape by a band of which the aforementioned Trouser Press said, "There's house music...and then there's Amityville Horror music."

No comments: