Monday, December 12, 2005

I'm sorry, this still seems really stupid to me

As The Adventures of the Sisterhood of the Irritating T-Shirts continue...

The local teen organizers of a "girlcott" that led Abercrombie & Fitch to pull two T-shirts from its shelves will visit the company's headquarters today to pitch their own designs.
Fourteen girls from Allegheny County Girls as Grantmakers will take a bus this morning to the clothier's headquarters in New Albany, Ohio, near Columbus, for a 90-minute afternoon meeting with company executives and managers.

The young women are keeping mum about what designs they have in mind until they can make their pitch, and there is no guarantee Abercrombie & Fitch will use their designs.


And even less of one that their designs will be funny, which at least the irritating t-shirts were, in my opinion and that of a couple smart women I know. It's hard to be funny if you're trying to send a message.

I'm sorry, I'm just not as excited as, say, Feministing about what looks to me like an obvious attempt by A&F to exploit the young women for PR purposes.


Schenley High School junior Emma Blackman-Mathis, 16, said she is nervous and excited that her group might have a chance to spread its message through fashion.

"I'm really, really excited to think about the fact that in a year these empowering T-shirts will be in pop culture mainstream stores, and that's mindblowing," Blackman-Mathis said.


And maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever, ever felt empowered by a t-shirt that either I or anybody else was wearing. Is it a girl thing? And I ask that semi-seriously, from my position as a pro girl-power kind of guy.

But this whole thing continues to look to me like an example of women caring way, way too much about fashion.

1 comment:

Ben Varkentine said...

If you expect me to argue with that, you're crazy.