Friday, December 16, 2005

Not a bad day for truly patriotic acts, really

The Senate blocked an extension of The Patriot Act. It probably didn't hurt that the day of the vote, it was reported that the Bush administration has been secretly spying on Americans without having to present good and sufficent cause.

Russ "Foresight" Feingold, the only Senator to vote against The Patriot Act after 9/11, when even I was giving Bush the benefit of the doubt, had this to say to his fellow senators just before the vote:

I don’t want to hear again from the Attorney General or anyone on this floor that this government has shown it can be trusted to use the power we give it with restraint and care. This shocking revelation ought to send a chill down the spine of every Senator and every American.


Makes you want to spit in the face of anyone you know who voted for Bush, doesn't it?

4 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

I'm really glad for you guys that your Senate has stopped that Act. It's just horrible how many of your rights were almost taken away "for your own good." Some of it was unbelievable for a so-called "enlightened" and "advanced" country. Celebrate, Ben! Come over to my blog, where I am having a drop-in party. Leave a comment, request a song, whatever. I'll be hanging around (right round baby, right round)...

Ben Varkentine said...

You're just saying that to tease me...I wish I felt more like celebrating. But as glad as I am about this news, I'm seriously bummed about John Spencer.

jeopardygirl said...

Well, no offense, but as sad as it is to hear of the passing of someone whose work you enjoyed, I think the shutting down of the Patriot Act should much more important to you personally. After all, he entertained you, but your previously-respected rights have been upheld.

Ben Varkentine said...

No offense taken. I know what you mean, but the thing is, my pleasure in seeing the Patriot Act halted is mostly theoretical.

No one was spying on me personally, so far as I know. Although, there was that viewer from DC who used to check this blog from time to time...

But John Spencer, as actors can be, was in my heart. "Someone who's work I enjoyed" doesn't quite say it-for him or anyone on West Wing.

I freely admit to being nuttier about that series than any other, and the loss of someone who was such an integral part of it is a blow.