Sunday, April 09, 2006

Maybe I should be paying more attention to Pink

I mean at this point, all I really know about her is that I quite like one or two of her singles, and I've seen one or two images of her I'm not unenthusiastic about either. But in recent interviews she's coming off pretty sensible.

...Pink did plenty of promo this past week, playing a secret show in New York and taping episodes of "Dateline" and "The Oprah Winfrey Show," where she got the dialogue started on the story behind her hit single "Stupid Girls."


While the celebrity angle of Pink's neofeminist critique got "Dateline" interested, Oprah Winfrey was more concerned about the lack of strong female role models. Calling her episode "Stupid Girls," Winfrey also invited onto the program four teenage girls and Karrine Steffans, author of "Confessions of a Video Vixen," to bring the discussion back to how girls are taught to act "stupid" and how to change that.


"I personally need more examples of how to be better and how to be stronger and how to go a different way," Pink said on the show. "I need more examples, so I can't even imagine being in school and looking around. And now it's cool to have a sex tape. Are you kidding me?"

Pink said she's trying not to think about all the attention the song is getting, but at the same time, this is exactly what she wanted — to start a discussion about who we choose to celebrate and why. In a world where women are still reduced to what they look like versus what they have to say, Pink wanted to make her fellow females realize how much of that has to change from within.


At the same time, Pink said the attention isn't about driving her record sales higher. In fact, she told Lauer she wishes her biggest album, Missundaztood, hadn't sold as many copies. "What?" Lauer responded. "You now have become the first recording artist I've ever sat across from who said, 'I wanted that album to sell fewer copies.' Why?"

"It sold 16 million records," Pink said. "And I didn't want that. Where do you go from there? Anything you do after that's a failure."

Prudent thinking, Pink-thats one of the things that drove Michael Jackson so batshit insane: Watching his sales fall after Thriller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the lessons we can learn from the weird life of the King of Pop.