Thursday, April 20, 2006

Music to Play When I'm Dead

M' learned colleague James "the" Mann recently wrote to me to ask if I'd contribute to a project he's putting together; the idea, to assemble a collection of songs people want played at their funerals or like events.

I am happy to comply as I owe James a favor and as it happens I do have such a list, but I am now going to lessen the value of my contribution by repeating the answers here. Sorry, James. The order of the following has no signifgance...at least that I am aware of...

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye/Bananarama

Many years ago I told a close friend I wanted this played when I was dead. I was kidding, but she said anyone who knew me would be crying, no doubt in remembrance of my puckish wit.

Frozen In Time/Thompson Twins

The American release of TT's "Side Kicks" (on casette) contained an extra side of remixes, including this mostly-wordless version of an album track. It's a song that, to me, may sum up better than any other my absolute and genuine love of synth.

Steppin' Out/Joe Jackson

The 1986 live version included on his "Live 1980/86" two-album set, wherein he slowed it down into a beautiful ballad that made the lyrics take on new meaning. "We were...steppin' out...into the night...into the light..."

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye (Almighty Radio Edit)/Soft Cell

This is reserved for one of my more toxically cynical moments, but sometimes I can't resist the drama of laying on a room full of dutiful mourners a song whose last words are "Take a look at my face for the last time...I never knew you, you never knew me, say hello, goodbye."

Bon Voyage/George Winston

Composed by Vince Guaraldi for a "Charlie Brown" special, this descending, minor key piece was originally meant to underscore a departure no more permanent than Snoopy being shipped to obedience school (it didn't take). But it's arguably my all-time favorite Guaraldi piece-Great Pumpkin Waltz is its only real rival. It was unrecorded by him, but included by Winston on his tribute solo piano album.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you sir!

Julia said...

I want Sinatra singing "My Way". Or maybe "Danse Macbre".

Ben Varkentine said...

"My Way" seems too obvious...if I were gonna use something of Franks, it might be the song he ended his last concert (before the short-lived "retirement") with, "Angel Eyes."

With its great last line: "Scuse me while I diappear..."