Monday, April 17, 2006

Red Eye

This was my first extended look at Rachel McAdams in action. There are those-indeed, many-who think she's quite the hottie. I don't quite see it myself; no argument she's attractive, but for me personally there's something missing.

Or maybe it was just this role. I liked the film generally and McAdams certainly does a more than capable acting job in it, but her character makes too quick a change for the last act. As it happens, that last act is when I started liking her character (and the movie) a lot more, so I was okay with it while I was watching it. But sitting here, now, I wish her characterization could have been a little less plot-driven...and the plot a little more character-driven.

But, that's probably not a wholly fair thing to ask from a thriller, that's not what it's trying to be, anyway. As a thriller, Red Eye works well; the tension is neatly sustained with little or no gratuitious violence.

And I'm a sucker for "woman fighting back with smarts" stories anyway. One thing happened in the denouement that I wish they'd avoided; I won't reveal what, but it's not enough to capsize the movie. Hell, even a show as smartly written as Veronica Mars was its first season didn't avoid this particular trap.

If you see it, keep an eye on an actress named Jayma Mays, who plays Cynthia, a coworker of McAdams' character. The two have some nice "female bonding" moments throughout. I know nothing about her-this is apparently her major credit to date-but again, just to my personal taste, she is more of a sweetheart than the film's star.

(It says here she comes from Virginia, worked with Tim Busfield of The West Wing in the theatre, and "has appeared on the Los Angeles stage in several plays, including a production of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” in which she played the lead role of Janet." This explains everything.)

1 comment:

Bilingual Blah Girl said...

I haven't seen Red Eye, but The Notebook is a wonderful film with Rachel McAdams.