Monday, April 17, 2006

What's My Line?

The UK has done another one of those polls, this time to determine their favorite (single-line) song lyrics. U2 have come in at number one with this line from, drearily enough, "One:"
"One life, with each other, sisters, brothers"


Also in the top 20: The Smiths, Nirvana, Marvin Gaye, U2 again, Bowie, and The Police.

So, as you can well imagine, this started me thinking about a list of my own...which follows in no particular order:

My Favorite-Homeless Club Kids. "The ghosts of dead teenagers sing to me while I am dancing."

Bobby Darin-Simple Song Of Freedom. "No doubt some folks enjoy doin' battle, like presidents, prime ministers and kings, so let's all build them shelves so they can fight among themselves."

Pop Will Eat Itself-Can U Dig it? "We like the music, we like the disco sound...hey!"

Glass Tiger-Thin Red Line. "Red is for the heroes; green is for the brave; soldiers would you leave me with no souls to save?"

Howard Jones-New Song. "Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains!"

Joe Jackson-It's Different For Girls. "You're all the same..."

Joe Jackson-Steppin' Out. "But nothing hides the color of the lights that shine..."

Tears For Fears-Shout. “If I could change your mind, I'd really love to break your heart”

Culture Club-Move Away. "I never wanted to be a hero; I never wanted to be a man"

Pet Shop Boys-It Couldn't Happen Here. "All dignity and injured innocence"

Human League-Love Action (I Believe In Love). "I believe in truth, though I lie a lot"

Kirsty MacColl-Don't Go Home. "Nowhere was mine, no one was home"

Kirsty MacColl-As Long As You Hold Me. "As long as you need me I will try not to die"

The Beatles-Strawberry Fields Forever. "It’s getting hard to be someone but it all works out...it doesn’t matter much to me."

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

I'm stealing this