Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Push out the love, bring in the jive

Okay, enough of those lists of our favorite things. Q Magazine lists the 50 worst albums ever.

Confession time: I actually kind of like one or two of the versions on their pick for #15. Various – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Club Band – OST. The movie's my best-ever pick for the school of bad movies I like to call what were they thinking? But the songs, well, it's hard to screw all of em up...

Then there's #28. The Rolling Stones – Dirty Work. Again, I actually kind of liked "Harlem Shuffle"-but then, as we've esatblished, I don't give a ratfucking piss about The Rolling Stones, so you can't go by me.

#29. Various – Christmas In The Stars: Star Wars Christmas Album. I haven't heard this, but it cannot possibly top the Christmas With The Super Heroes album on which Batman goes up against Rudolph, the red-nosed hitman.

#31. Stevie Wonder – Woman In Red. Oh come now! What about...no, they're right.

#42. Babylon Zoo – The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes. Dunno about that, but I still like "Spaceman."

As for albums I'd add, well, believe it or not...

Pet Shop Boys-Release. In which the boys distinctive songwriting skills desert them, it is to be hoped not forever.

Joe Jackson-Night & Day II. This misstep is the nadir of Jackson's recording career.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I rather like Release: it's perhaps the least glitzy of Pet Shop Boys releases (could do without those remix discs, personally), but that Eminem song makes me smile every time . . .

Ben Varkentine said...

think what I don't like about it is it's one of the first times Neil's singer/songwriter tendencies have completely overwhelmed Chris's desire for rhythm. The tension between the two is what makes Pet Shop Boys, IMO.

But then, I like the remix records.

As for the Eminem song, for me it's one of those things that is more funny as an *idea*.

The Pet Shop Boys doing a love song to Eminem, oh ha-ha, very funny, aren't you clever.

But as a *song*, it's crap.