Friday, April 21, 2006

Oh, $&#&&%%!

Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator, chief writer, and showrunner of "Gilmore Girls"is leaving the series at the end of this season. Along with her husband, creative partner (and lucky SOB because he's married to such a writer), Daniel Palladino.

Around the web, this is being compared to Aaron Sorkin's quitting "The West Wing." I won't go quite that far. If only because while it's true that the Palladinos have written the lions share of "Gilmore" scripts, they still haven't written as much as Sorkin did of "West Wing."

But that's splitting hairs, and this is really upsetting news for fans, especially since next year is thought to be the series final. I've been meaning to post something about how I think GG has, in relative quiet, been having one of the best runs in TV history.

Unlike perhaps 98% of all shows that last more than five years, they have yet to have a bad season. Even their fourth year, which is generally held to have been a misstep, seems to me to be deeply underrated, with some of my favorite lines and characters.

I was really looking forward to the Palladinos "bringing it on home" next year. Now I just have two or three more episodes to go and then for better (not likely) or worse (probably) Stars Hollow changes forever.

Sigh...

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh no!!!

Bilingual Blah Girl said...

I love GG, too. The 5th season just finished here in Germany and I thought it was the weakest so far. Started off good with the Luke-Lorelai relationship (at last!!), but Rory annoys me more and more. First the affair with Dean at the end of season 4, now Logan ... she's just changing, but not in a direction I like. Although Logan has grown on me throughout the season. But I felt sorry for Marty, the guy from her dorm.

Anyways, the Palladinos leaving will be tough on the show. If they'd known earlier, maybe they could have ended it after season 6 (which I haven't seen yet) with a good finale.

Oh, and I think GG is one of the most underrated shows (or in other words, it didn't get enough awards IMO). The dialogue is sooo good!! And the characters are quirky and lovable.

Oh, and because this comment is quite long already anyway, I might as well add that Veronica Mars started here a month ago and I love it.