Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Last episodes, please, or woulda coulda shoulda

Here's an article from last year picking The Six Best TV Finales. I'll go along with Newhart and The Larry Sanders Show. M*A*S*H? Well, it could have been. Now, almost 25 years after the fact with the last episode in regular rotation, things like Hawkeye's breakdown seem ghastly and overwrought.

Some series would have had the best finales, had they had sense enough to stop in time. Buffy, for instance, had a terrific series finale that aired at the end of its fifth season. Unfortunately, the show went on (and on...) for another two.

The West Wing, of course, gave us nearly one of the best episode of the entire series with 25-but again, has gone past that stopping point.

Babylon 5 pulled off a great last episode. Made at the end of the series fourth season, it was delayed until the conclusion of the last-minute renewed, violently erratic fifth season.

On a side note, I'm starting to wish Huff had run for only one season, but I'll talk about that more later.

And Futurama had a great last episode, even though it wasn't intended as one.

I'd definitely add Cheers, especially the great final moments. Everything after Sam comes back to the bar is a gem.

And Sports Night. I'm sorry that only ran for two years, even though it must have been killing Sorkin to write on that and West Wing at once. But at the same time, I'm glad it never had a chance to go terrible on us.

Which brings me to NewsRadio. I've said it before: While Friends and especially Seinfeld got all the hype, this was the best new sitcom of the '90s. And the finale of this terminally disrespected sitcom was true to its anti-cheap-sentiment, funny heart.

I think that's all I got. Yr. nominations, pls?

No comments: