Monday, May 08, 2006

Well I'll be good and goddamned

The new version of Doctor Who [was] among the winners at the British equivalent of the Emmy Awards Sunday night.



'Doctor Who' actress Billie Piper, who plays Rose on the revamped sci-fi hit, was on hand to accept the show's BAFTA trophy for best drama. 'Doctor Who' was also the audience pick for best TV program of 2005...

Doctor Who picked up two honours at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts gala in London: best drama series and the Pioneer Audience Award for best program of 2005, a prize voted on by television viewers.

Winning the audience honour was "lovely, it's gobsmacking," Doctor Who writer Russell T. Davies told the BBC. "It's a programme that children watch and the family watch."

Davies also won BAFTA's Dennis Potter Award for outstanding writing for television.

If you'll forgive me indulging my inner fanboy for a minute...I could almost cry.

Why? Because Russell T. Davies...the fuckers actually done it! After over 40 years, he's turned Doctor Who into a hit, mainstream award-winning, drama series! Can any other science-fiction writer/producer make that claim for their own program?

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

I didn't really watch Dr. Who until this new batch (I like Christopher Eccleston as an actor). I was scared stiff by some weird mutated plant thing when I was a kid, and didn't "get" the humour. But, when these episodes aired, I was glued to the TV watching them, and I probably will be again when their air the new season over here.