Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Well some of the crowd are on the pitch...

I'm planning to attend a forum this Sunday on "Pitching to Agents." It'll be my first time at such an event. I know that a few of you who read my blog are writers ranging from the still-fledgling like myself to the actually published.

So on the theory that it's better to ask a stupid question than to make a stupid mistake, I thought I'd ask: Have any of you ever been to an event like this, and if so, can you tell me what to expect? In terms of what, if anything, I should bring or what I should be prepared to do, etc?

I'm going there with the possibility of being able to make a five-minute pitch to an agent. But that's not definite-writers will be chosen to pitch, by lottery, after the agents speak. I think I'm prepared to make a verbal pitch if "my number comes up".

But would it be a good idea to have sample chapters or a synopsis on hand? Or would that just mark me out as unprofessional?

3 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

Thanks for the pep talk, Bob, I'll just slot that one in under "other shit I need to worry about."

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ben, I've got my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Normally, I hate those things, but I went to a "Breaking Into Freelancing" class the other night and liked it a lot. There was nothing covered that I hadn't previously read, but I did get to find out what I was doing both right and wrong, and having somebody to bounce ideas off of was very helpful. I left feeling much better about my future.

Good luck, Ben!