Saturday, March 03, 2007

A sleep trance, a dream dance, A shared romance

As you know, I like wonderfully smart women like Linda Ellerbee. It follows, therefore, that I like Linda Ellerbee. That's why I was surprised to learn that she published a third volume of autobiography in 2005 and I only just found out about it this year.

Well, this is why God, Goddess or whoever's-in-charge made libraries. I requested it, it came in, I'm reading it now. I like it, even though I'm appalled at her dissipated memory for assigning a quotation from Charlie Brown to Snoopy. I expected better.

But that's not important right now. What's important is that I love when you find connections between things. On page 247 Ellerbee writes about the time her daughter told her she was getting married.



"We've picked September 1, 2001," Vanessa said.


September 1, 2001, was my 30th birthday. So let's review. In the last two days, purely by chance, I:

Have heard a CD by a band I had never heard of before but like. The first song and first word of which have the same name as one of my characters, if we're not going to quibble over spelling and we're not.

Have learned that one American title for a film by a writer/director I like is the same as the story I've been working on writing or selling since 2004. And at a passing glance, so is the subject matter.

And the daughter of a woman whose work I like was married on my birthday.

I choose to believe these are all good signs for the pitching forum I'm going to tomorrow.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

GOOD LUCK, Ben! Oh, and try to relax a little and have fun.

Anonymous said...

I apologize for the Snoopy-Chalrie Brown mistake. You get old, your memeory drops a stritch here and there. I hate it when that happens. You will too.

Oh, well, and so it goes.

Happy birthday come September 1.

Linda Ellerbee