Saturday, March 03, 2007

Holy crap.

Most of you know by now that I've been working on/trying to sell for a few years first a screenplay, then novel called My Girlfriend's Boyfriend. Some of you may also remember my paying homage to French filmmaker Eric Rohmer.

Rohmer has a talent for dialogue (given that I have to assume that through the translator) and a taste for writing about women, misunderstandings, ambiguity, and dancing. As do I, he said modestly.

You may even remember that I tend to get really if passingly sad whenever I think someone's encroaching on "my" title or ideas. With all of the above in mind, you'll understand my chagrined reaction to coming across this.

On the one hand, it makes me want to bang my head against the computer desk, virtually speaking. If for no other reason than who's going to believe I didn't know about it and it's all an amazing coincdence?

On the other, it is an amazing coincidence-this is a film by Rohmer I've never seen. And I kind of like the thought (or confirmation) that a filmmaker who engages me and I are working with similar ideas.

Nevertheless...holy crap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like all the references to my name in the title ha ha ha