Friday, March 02, 2007

Ho. Ly. Shit.

So yesterday I got one of those periodic packages I get from press folk containing one or more CDs they're hoping I'll review. My philosophy on unsolicited packages like this is that I'll scan the PR sheet and if it makes the band look interesting I'll give it a test spin.

This one, for a band called Hail Social, describes them as "ethereal, stylistically-lithe dance rock," and, quoting The Stranger, "Some bands burn white hot, but Hail Social burn hot pink." Well! That did indeed sound just like my cup of tea.

We eighties guys can't resist our hot pink.

I made a mental note to put this album in the CD player this afternoon. Then I put the package down and thought no more about it. Didn't look at the cover or anything until I started playing it just before signing on here.

First things I noticed: That clapped-out drum machine sound that I actually like 'cos it's so retro. Synthesizer figures that sound like children's toy pianos. All good so far. Then the lead vocalist, who actually sounds like a less-operatic (and that's a good thing) Freddy Mercury starts singing.

And I start grabbing for the CD booklet, to make sure I heard him right. Sure enough, the first line of the very first song is:


"Annabelle you never knew the words to any songs..."


That's its title.

This is the most cosmic bribe I have ever received.

No comments: