Monday, May 21, 2007

I wish you had, Amy

Amy Sherman-Palladino Q & A about the finale of Gilmore Girls and the beginnings of her new show, The Return of Jezebel James. She ends by saying,
I don't believe that bull----, ''If you love it, let it go.'' If you love it, stay there and make sure no one else f---s it up.


And my first response was: Yeah! Just another one of the many reasons why I have a crush on Amy Sherman-Palladino. But then I thought again. Isn't letting Gilmore Girls go and letting other people fuck it up exactly what she did?

It's just problematic to have to add this codicil to her statement:

Unless you can't come to terms with the network. If so, then walk away only after having painted your characters into piss-poor positions. So that even if the new showrunner had been a more distinct writer, he still wouldn't have been able to save the ship.

My admiration for her sharp writing remains undiminished, and I'm looking forward to the new series. But...

No comments: