Thursday, May 24, 2007

Watching the lame duck fly

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's "Studio 60," returning to NBC's schedule to air its last episodes. Undoubtedly it helps that, since it couldn't matter less how many people watch it any more, I was free to watch the show feeling like it was just me and the rest of the cult.

Something the show played up to, however inadvertently. There's some black humor to be found in the title of the episode alone. This first episode to air after a long hiatus, during which the long ratings-challenged series was officially cancelled, was entitled "The Disaster Show."

And the episode itself was the kind of thing some of us were wishing they'd done more of all along with the "live comedy show" idea: What happens when the prop department-including the cue card holders-go on strike 10 minutes before a broadcast?

They kept the pace snappy (I'm sorry to feel that I have to add "for once"), remembering to bring the funny and leave behind most of the things that were weighing the show down. What things?


Well, I'm really sorry to feel that I have to add this, but Danny, Jordan and Matt didn't even appear. And the show was better than it had been for the last several episodes I remember.

There might have been a lesson in that.

Plus for us serious "West Wing" fans, there was the added value of that series' star Allison Janney, playing herself as the host of the beleaguered show. The script reunited her with "Studio 60" cast member Timothy Busfield, who was Danny on "West Wing."

His character and Janney's C.J. Cregg were the Tracy-Hepburn of that show, and watching them work together is nothing but sheer pleasure.

For those eight or nine of you who were also following the series, in case you didn't know, it's back. Catch it while you can.

2 comments:

Johnny Bacardi said...

Make that ten!

I thought it was the best episode since perhaps the pilot. As much as I like Peet, Whitford and Perry, their quartet of characters (along with Paulson) were never as interesting as Sorkin wanted us to think they were.

Of course, it's all too little too late, but I'm glad they're still airing these episodes.

Ben Varkentine said...

I think all those characters, except perhaps Danny, and certainly those actors, were capable of being more interesting.

It's just that Sorkin didn't give them his best material.