Friday, August 08, 2008

Droops, Rabbits and Rags

Leonard Maltin writes,


[Richard Williams] has two Oscars to his credit, and is renowned for directing the animation in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but his magnum opus, The Thief and the Cobbler, on which he lavished years of effort and much of his own money, has never been seen in the form that he intended. Many animation fans hope that some day it will be restored.


Trivia: Williams also performed the voice of Droopy in the deadpan mutt's cameo in Who Framed.

His other work includes what I think is the finest version of the "Pink Panther" opening titles, from The Return of the Pink Panther in 1975:

(should be watched full-screen, if possible)



And Williams directed the Raggedy Ann & Andy movie of the '70s, which I don't think I've seen since I was little but remember as being good. Here's a scene (reportedly animated almost entirely by Williams) to see if I'm right.



Anyway I bring all this up because I want to pass along what Maltin passed along, which is a 10-minute promo for Williams' new Animator’s Survival Kit Animated DVD set.

If I was an animator (or really any kind of a visual artist), I would steal, beg, or borrow money to take a class from Williams, or see these videos. But even as someone who's just a fan of the art, there's a lot here that'll make you smile and laugh.

No comments: