Saturday, August 09, 2008

Ok, the John Edwards thing

I'm disappointed and saddened, obviously, because as you know I've liked Edwards a lot in the past--even saw him at one time as kind of a hero. But I also think his wife is terrific and am mildly obsessed with his daughter Cate, so I'm really sorry he's put them in this unpleasant situation.

To me, this still wouldn't make him a bad candidate, however, I understand that the climate being what it is...well, who needs the drama? Other than that, I want to say a couple of things building on what Steve Benen said already:

For what it’s worth, Elizabeth Edwards apparently became aware of the relationship in 2006, and the affair went on while her cancer was in remission.


in the future, this will only encourage media outlets to be more aggressive in looking into candidates’ personal lives, which is really a shame.


To me these are not insignifigant--we're talking about an extramarital relationship which had been concluded, of which the spouse was aware; had apparently chosen to forgive. And continue in the marriage.

And our tabloid-driven media dug it up because...why? Is anyone's life better off because the world now knows John Edwards had an affair?

I'd just add a nod that:



before Republicans pounce on this with too much glee, if, in the wake of Edwards’ confession, presidential-candidate adultery all of a sudden becomes an important campaign issue, let’s not forget that this is one subject John McCain and his supporters really don’t want to talk about.

No comments: