Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Twelve happiness

(This is very PD)

Consciousness. My consciousness brings me happiness. Not all the time, no, but given a choice I'd rather have consciousness than not. Which rather goes without saying, but this post is turning out to be quite stream of...consciousness.

Early this year I was thinking about two kinds of consciousness. There's the monkey mind and then there's the human mind. Another way of thinking about it is what Alan Watts called spotlight consciousness vs floodlight. Spotlight is what you do because you're thinking about it, floodlight is what you can do without thinking about it.

Here's another question. Is our social consciousness linked to our private consciousness? I don't have a fully worked-out answer, but I shall close with a quote from Elvis:

it's the damage that we do
And never know
It's the words that we don't say
That scare me so

No comments: