Monday, October 06, 2008

For those of you playing at home...

"An American Carol" opened on 2000 screens this weekend and grossed an average of $2,325 per. By comparison, "Religulous" opened on 500 screens and grossed an average of $6,972 per.

But, I've always figured, surely "Carol" is the kind of film where you keep the budget low so that even if it bombs, you still may go into profit. Kevin Smith currently bases his whole career on this plan, and certainly the TV spots for "Carol" make it look pretty slap-dash.

Uh-uh. "Carol" has a reported budget of $20 million.

"Religulous?" $2.5 million.

That means, if my math is not incorrect--and it very well may be--that to go into profit, "Carol" will have to keep making money at the same rate at which it opened--which almost never happens--well past the election.

Anyone think it's going to have that kinda shelf life, Like it or not, right or left? Does it seem like the kinda movie where they can make up their losses in international sales, for that matter?

"Religulous," on the other hand, I'll make a prediction now and say it'll be in profit by the end of the week, if it's not already.

BTW: I'm not fond of Bill Maher and I don't plan to see "Religulous." It looks to me like the kind of movie where even if I agree with most everything it says, I wouldn't want to admit that because then I'd be in the same camp with such a bitch. So it's not about that.

But the difference in economics...perhaps especially considering the current situation...well, it just puts a smile on my face, that's all, it puts a smile on my face.

No comments: