Friday, October 10, 2008

Hating John McCain: Now it's personal. Part 2.

Washington Mutual implodes? Times are tough. Lehman Brothers is gone? Time for some belt tightening. But Mother’s Cookies? This, my friends, is a tragedy.

The news that the venerable onetime Oakland institution has gone to the great cookie jar in the sky hurts, and not just because it’s yet another sign of how our national economy is about as stable as a flaky flix.


You get that? Because of the economy, for which I blame John McCain, Mother's Cookies has gone away. The only way this could possibly be more unpatriotic is if he'd been caught mugging girl scouts.

Don't tell me it's irrational to blame John McCain for the economy (although his party has been in power for years). This is no time for rationality, we're talking about cookies here!

Mother’s demise feels like the negation of some of the happiest memories of a Bay Area childhood – and is a stark reminder that we aren’t kids anymore. When I think of Mother’s Cookies, I remember hot days at Camp Tzofim in Oakland, with kids drinking Ocean Spray juice out of boxes and singing the Ray Parker, jr. “Ghostbusters” theme song (“Bustin’ makes me feel good!”).


I think I'm going to cry...

No comments: