Friday, October 10, 2008

You know what I'm talking about?

I'm talking about Anne Hathaway. Well, first of all, my baby's got some mad skills. You all know what I think of her looks, but in Rachel Getting Married she gives her best performance as an actress I have ever seen.

How can I tell you how good it was? Let me put it this way. Even if this character had not been played by Anne Hathaway, I would've wanted to get to know her.

I can't say that about movies like Princess Diaries 2, which I sit through only because it reinforces my belief that Hathaway is The Most Beautiful Woman In The World.

In the case of Rachel (link's to a Variety story about a screening of the film), when the camera wasn't on Hathaway I indeed did miss her.

But it wasn't because she was the only thing that made the film worth looking at.

Far from it, the film has a quartet of star performances, as well as solid supporting actors down the line.

Besides Hathaway, there's Debra Winger, as her mother, Bill Irwin, as her father, and Rosemarie DeWitt as her sister.

DeWitt is the Rachel getting married.



Kym, Hathaway's character, is fresh out of rehab and, wounds still tender, is thrown into the flurry of a household preparing for a wedding.



I was going to say why I missed Hathaway (with DeWitt at right) when she wasn't onscreen and the answer is really that I had come to care about Kym.

This film is riveting, and my girl can act. I'll be honest with you, before she was making it into my holy trinity (Holly, Kate, Anne) mostly on her looks.

No longer.

You must see it.

No comments: