Sunday, September 18, 2005

Emmy

Thoughts on the Emmys:

Ellen DeGeneres's whole "like me like me like me like me like me like me" thing is starting to make me...not like her. The joke with Eva Longoria? Well, as a wise man once said, I like a joke that you can just see hailing a cab, coming on down the street...

Quentin Tarantino: Shut up.

Jon Stewart is a god.

Hugh Jackman's wife seems like a very nice person. On a completely unrelated matter, he looks good with a beard, don't you think?

Re this "Emmy Idol" thing, I still think it was a bad idea--and the fix had to have been in for Donald Trump and Megan Mullally to win. Considering the voting was on the Internet, I figured Shatner for a lock.

If Kristen Bell's tight stomach gets a few more people to watch "Veronica Mars", then I suppose it will have been worth it--but I already knew she could sing and was cute. I didn't need to see her Flashdancing about to be reminded. The songs in "Reefer Madness" are better anyway, and she sings one in (alternately) a white bra and fetish gear...

I'm sorry, my mind seems to have wandered...let me see...where was I...oh yes! I've never watched an entire episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond," yet I think Phil Rosenthal is pretty funny:

"All year long they've been asking us, do you think now that your show is going that this means the end of the sitcom, and I want to say, 'Yes,'" said "Raymond" co-creator and producer Phil Rosenthal. "Beyond that, it's the end of laughing, and soon the end of smiling..."

But I am so in love with Felicity Huffman. She's the kind of actress who makes me want to write better and more, in hopes that I can one day find actors as dedicated as she is to embody my characters.

Even though "Desperate Housewives" is not my cup of tea, I'm happy for its success because it means she's on a hit and now has an Emmy. And wasn't that one of the greatest acceptance speeches you've ever seen in your life? I'm not just saying that because she mentioned Aaron Sorkin and "Sports Night"--I thought the way she spoke of her husband was lovely.

The boys from "Boston Legal" had a good night--I've probably said this before, but it bears repeating--if someone had told you three years ago that William Shatner would not only be on a hit, but would be winning Emmys, you'd've said, "You're crazy." Denny Crane.

And hey, Blythe Danner winning for "Huff!" I must say that as with "Veronica Mars," I feel just a teensy bit superior for watching this show when, I'm told, almost nobody else is. I hope this award makes a few more people give it a chance.

Then again, that's what the writers for "Arrested Development" said, and I've tried their show more than once, and it just doesn't make me laugh.

Cool of Letterman to cite the profile of Johnny Carson written by Kenneth Tynan, one of my favorite writers. But, that quote about what makes TV different? The full answer was, "for better or worse, Carson."

Finally, a smack upside the head to whoever decided to put Lauren Graham on the same stage with Jennifer Love Hewitt. I wouldn't kick Hewitt out of bed, as they say, and in her interviews she seems like a nice enough person.

But Graham is both sexy and could wipe the floor with Hewitt as both a dramatic and comic actress. She must know it.

No comments: