Saturday, September 24, 2005

A short rant

I just spent I don't even want to think about how long trying to figure out how to post a comment on a blog entry by "The Anchoress." This is a religious right, pro-Bush, pro GOP, conservative blogger. She was running the why, oh why, are those mean old lefty liberals being so mean to poor, beleaguered president Bush? number, and I wanted to make a comment or two.

The "preamble" to her blog is as long as some people's entire blog entries and includes these friendly, welcoming words:
Instead of passing me food, comments will do! I ask only that you be civil, because I do believe that decent people can disagree and still be decent people


Which is certainly a reasonable request and an optimistic statement, both of which I would have done my best to live up to. Even if she hadn't asked, I hope. But here's the thing. She's got her blog set up so that it's absolutely impossible for a new user to register to post comments.

I suppose it wouldn't be exactly "civil" of me to say that it's outside my definition of "decency" to solicit comments making a little to-do about how you encourage open debate, and then virtually put your hands over your eyes and stuff cotton in your ears.

However, it is completely within my definition of a religious right, pro-Bush, pro GOP, conservative blogger.

No comments: