Saturday, April 29, 2006

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Or, "Cut To Ben Banging His Head Against The Computer Desk, Pt. III."

Okay, let's review what we know. I have these couple of characters, Keitha and Annabel, a lesbian couple. First they were in a play, then they were in a screenplay, now they're in a novel in progress.

I've put my heart and soul into them in a way that feels different to anything else I've ever written and often I think the results have been pretty cool. Actually, most of the time I think my characters are pretty cool, it's just much less frequent that I think the way I'm writing about them actually is. My characters are much cooler than I am.

But periodically I get these twinges of inferiority complex and insecurity (writers are nuts, in case you hadn't heard). Especially when movies come out that seem to be treading in the same area.

Like, say, a movie that I just heard about that's currently playing the gay & lesbian film festival circuit. Now granted, apart from being a lesbian love story, it doesn't appear to have much to do with my characters and their story.

Oh, except that the name is Loving Annabelle.

I just want to die...

2 comments:

Bilingual Blah Girl said...

So you've come up with the title for your novel in progress and now you found out that a film with that same title already exists? (Sorry to repeat your post, I just want to make sure I haven't misunderstood you.) Oh boy. Must have been quite a shock. Still, I wish you continuing confidence in your writing and good luck with your project!

jeopardygirl said...

No, Sonja, one of his main characters is named Annabel.