Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bless me father for I have sinned

...It's been over eight months since my last confession, when I said:
I don't give a ratfucking piss about the Rolling Stones. And I'm going to go that one further: Nobody gives a ratfucking piss about the Rolling Stones. Except boomers desperate to cling to the illusion that the bands they liked when they were in college, and therefore themselves, are still relevant.


That was written when there was this bullshit tempest in a teapot about the "jab" the Stones were taking at the Bush administration on their new album...and the blogs were all atwitter and CNN was all abuzz.

I said:


It's a publicity stunt, you idiots. It's another Rolling Stones album that you won't be able to name one song off of by the time their next album comes out.


Just checking in: I imagine one or two of you may have bought that album. From memory, can you name me one song off it? Ah-hah.

Now we come to Neil Young. Look, I got no quarrel with Neil Young. By and large it's not my type of music-although I have enjoyed some of his songs more when covered by other artists, like Saint Etienne's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". I like some of the CSNY material, including the underrated "American Dream" single. And I admire the attitude behind Trans (more than I admire the actual music).

So this isn't about him being anything other than a gifted songwriter and for all I know a swell guy. But recent history is repeating. He's got a new album coming out that expresses a bit of picque at Washington, and once again, the world press is beside itself.

They're quite dizzy with anticipation, because they believe Neil Young is The Great Truth-Teller Who Will Set Everything Right With His Urgent, Burning Guitar Lines And Scathing Lyrics.

I believe there will be a burble of interest among people who already believe themselves to be fierce, commited critics of the Bush administration and think the best way to express that is with the drug of their choice and a little rock n' roll.

Real life will resume the next day, and this lyric will still suck. Perhaps you remember a few weeks ago, when I said,
I don't like 98% or so of all political songs, on a purely asthetic basis. For me, they sacrifice emotion for stridency.
in reference to Pink's "Dear Mr. President," which I was citing as an exception that tests the rule. But Young's "Let's Impeach the President" reads like a National Lampoon parody of the kinds of songs I was talking about.

But even if it didn't, to pretend that this is a meaningful event on any sociopolitcal or artistic level is just the wishful thinking of a lot of boomers who had their chance to make the world a better place, and decided to vote for Reagan, and blindly support the "war on terror," instead.

Now, they look back on a time when gosh darn it, they were half a million strong.

5 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Oh, they're still half a million strong, it's just that they're all in half a million different personal directions.

I have a lot of critical thoughts about the so-called "boomers."

Bill said...

I give a rat's piss about Neil Young. Even if his politics are frequently muddled (cf. Hawks And Doves), the man regularly has made political concerns a part of his music - and his actions, too, for that matter (as with Farm Aid). While his general level of adventurousness has resulted in as many clunkers as it has great albums (think I like Trans more than you, tho), he is not one to rest on his laurels, which I also generally appreciate. Dunno if this newest album will be any good or not yet, but I know I'd like to hear it.

As to why there's so much attention being paid to it, well, I suspect it's the same reason that Atrios and others keep posting Bush's ever-sinking disapproval ratings: as one more symptom of a changing national consensus.

Ben Varkentine said...

Jen: You and me both, kid.

Bill: Isn't Neil Young from Canada though?

jeopardygirl said...

Who are you calling "kid?"

I'm a full two months older than you! :)

Bill said...

Neil’s Canadian born, fer shure, but that hasn’t kept him from assuming an American voice from as far back as “Ohio” (where he bemoaned Kent State soldiery “cutting us down.”) Don’t know if he ever adopted American citizenship or not, but for most of us he’s as American as, oh, Jim Carrey. Or all-American Blues Brother Dan Ackroyd. Or . . . (Okay, I’ll stop.)