Wednesday, April 26, 2006

That sound you may have heard between eight and nine PM (Pacific time) last night...

...was the sound of a few million "Gimore Girls" fans sitting in judgement. You see, not only was last night's the first episode to air since we learned that series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino is leaving the series along with her husband, it was written by the person who's replacing her as showrunner, David Rosenthal.

Now: Far be it from me to say that a man can't write something girly as "Gilmore Girls," which is the girliest thing I've ever liked (and I've liked some girly things). Though an investigation revealed some...curious...things about Rosenthal.

Like that he once quit a job and divorced his wife so he could write a play about his obsessive desire to have sex with Heidi Klum. But hey, we've all been there, right?

Admitting upfront that knowing what I know about the future of the series undoubtedly colored my perceptions of this episode, I have to say: For the first time in memory, last night I saw characters on "The Gilmore Girls" doing things that made me say "No. No, that character would never do that."

This does not bode well.

2 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

Huh. I had no idea, which goes to show how far I've already disengaged from the show. I feel like they've been screwing around with the characters for a while now--basically, this whole season. (In particular, I think the bogus conflict between Luke and Lorelei is completely contrived, and they've fudged with the characters in order to create the conflict.) I'm on the verge of giving up on it altogether, which pains me (but not as much as it pains my sweetheart, who remains much more into the show than I am).

Ben Varkentine said...

I concede they've walked a line this season, but until this weeks show there was never anything I thought completely contradicted the characters.

How this season ends will have a lot to do with whether I come back next year; if a spoiler I accidentally saw the other day (and which I won't reveal) turns out to be true, no.

If not, yes-at least for the first couple episodes.