Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Okay...I know this isn't exactly a new question

...but could someone please tell me what L.A. does to some women? Let me explain what I'm talking about.

Once or twice around here and in my old blog, I've expressed my horror at redheaded actress Laura Prepon going blonde. My tongue is somewhat in my cheek when I say these things but not entirely. I considered the way her red hair set off her carnal, sensual face to be one of the most strikingly attractive things about her.

Now, as a blonde, her face just kind of disappears into the woodwork.

Jennifer Grey is another, and probably the most extreme, version of what I'm talking about. As most people probably know by now, she had a nose job that rendered her unrecognizable. And completely destroyed what was most distinctive-and I'd always thought kinda sexy-about her face.

So here's what brought this on. Early this morning, I'm watching the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Sara Rue, star of the sitcom Less Than Perfect is to be a guest. I've never actually seen an episode of Less Than Perfect, but I'd caught glimpses of Rue here and there. From what I saw on Celebrity Poker Showdown and the like, she seemed to have a decent sense of humor about herself, always attractive in a woman. And she was a big-sized girl, but damn if it didn't look great on her.


So-as if you're not already ahead of me-Ferguson introduces her and this walks out:


As I say, I know this isn't exactly a new question. But could someone tell me what L.A. does to some women that makes them want to remove what's most striking, attractive, distinctive, sexy and great-looking about themselves?

In favor of looking like everybody else?

3 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Women are always trying to fit in, to look "perfect." There really does seem to be this homogenized view of what can be considered attractive. LA is not one of the places that truly celebrates a woman's unique beauty. The fact is, if you want to get work as a lead actress, the studios are usually looking for the same size-two brunette or blonde (preferably blonde). I think Ms. Rue is tired of being the "quirky" sidekick, the "quirky" girl next door. She wants to be the "bombshell." It pays better, opens more doors. As someone who looks more like a quirky sidekick and not a bombshell (new pic on my blog), I can totally relate, but there's only one part of my anatomy I'm willing to scar from plastic surgery, and that's because doing so will prevent health problems in the future. My crooked nose is not going anywhere, and neither are my thin lips. So there.

Just my $.02...

Ben Varkentine said...

It's entirely probable she had a reduction and/or "resculpting." They were kind of...well, you know...

Ginger said...

"There's a saying - in Hollywood, everyone wants to be the first to be second."

LOVE that. It's 100% true.